The increased militarization of the borderlands and its residents is caused by the hateful rhetoric bolstered by the current administration against immigrants, refugees, and people of color. These sentiments and xenophobic promises are transformed into policies that are tearing families and dreams apart. Individuals and families fleeing from violence are met with state oppression. We say enough is enough!
In order to visualize our resistance against the separation of families and detainment of individuals by ICE and border patrol, we are hosting a call for digital artists to submit proposals. This art will be used by campaigns across the nation fighting for the dignity and freedom of immigrants. This call for proposals will be curated by two groups based in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas: Neta, a Latinx multimedia platform, and Las Imaginistas, a socially engaged art collective.
Three artists will be selected and, with the guidance of Neta and Las Imaginistas, will be commissioned to produce two original pieces each for a $1,000 stipend. Half will be awarded after the first meeting and the remaining upon completion.
Artists are asked to submit proposals that can include digital drawings or short videos (60 seconds or less).
Proposals should include:
- Your name, contact information (phone, email), and website
- Artist statement
- Image/video list (titles of included photos with corresponding file name)
Attach image files in the email as instructed below:
- File Set Up: .jpg files, 1024 Pixels on the longest side at 72 DPI, #MB or less
- Name Files: firstname_lastname1.jpg, firstname_lastname2.jpg, etc.
Artist will be expected to complete the following:
- Introductory Meeting (call/video conference)
- Neta, Las Imaginitstas, and artist discuss submissions and provide suggestions
- Artist presents the first draft of their work and receives feedback
- Artist submits final products (call/video conference)
- Artist must also provide a short 300 to 500 word summary of their experience creating the two pieces
- Submit a headshot
Interested artists can email proposals to Josue Ramirez at firstname.lastname@example.org and Dani Marrero Hi at email@example.com.
Deadline is Thursday, July 19, 2018. Artists will be notified on Monday, July 23, 2018.