Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posted: August 25, 2017
Deadline to apply: September 15, 2017
Neta is a bilingual multimedia platform based in the Rio Grande Valley along the Texas-Mexico border. We create engaging and culturally relevant content that amplifies the voices of border residents aimed to challenge mainstream narratives about our region.
Neta is one of the fastest-growing Latinx-run progressive media platforms in Texas and the U.S. We are part of the emerging progressive infrastructure in Texas engaging young people of color on important social issues and politics. We are fiscally sponsored by the Progress Texas Institute, a 501(c)(3) organization.
Contributors are the stars of content creation at Neta. Contributors focus on specific issue areas and follow progressive movements in the Rio Grande Valley to create in-depth storytelling on their designated issue areas. Contributors also engage with community partners who do grassroots organizing to identify storytelling opportunities and how Neta can aid their campaigns and community needs.
Neta is looking for Contributors on the following issues:
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and queer community
- Reproductive justice
- Abortion access
- Border wall
- HIV prevention
- Sex education
As a Neta Contributor, you will write 1 – 3 stories per month. There are also opportunities for multimedia storytelling. Neta provides equipment needed for multimedia projects, as available.
You should apply if you:
- Have some experience in writing, research, or multimedia storytelling
- Live in the Rio Grande Valley
- Are committed to progressive social movements in the Rio Grande Valley
- Are part of a community organization that works in one or more of the issue areas we are looking for
- Are an expert or work with experts in one or more of the issue areas we are looking for
- Are passionate about positive and authentic media representation of the Rio Grande Valley
- Are familiar or willing to learn to use Google Drive, Gmail, and Slack (communications app)
- Are willing to meet about once a month with the entire staff of Neta
- Believe in the mission of Neta and are committed to helping our platform grow
Contributors work remotely from many cities across the Rio Grande Valley. While covering events, there could be moments that require exposure to the outdoors for several hours at a time or travel between cities in the Rio Grande Valley. Check-ins on Google Hangout or conference calls are frequent. No work uniforms enforced.
Neta’s standards are to provide an inclusive environment for all to work in and collaborate. We uphold our values of being pro-Feminist, pro-LGBTQ, pro-worker, pro-immigrant, and pro-bodily autonomy firmly.
The pay range for stories typically falls between $50 – $150, with some exceptions for multimedia content. The pay ranges depend on details of each story. Additionally, Contributors are compensated for any hours spent in training and Neta meetings.
The deadline to apply is September 15, 2017. To apply, we will need:
- A resume
- A letter that explains which issue area(s) you are interested in writing about and why
Please send these two documents to email@example.com. We will respond to all applications by September 22, 2017. We won’t leave you hanging, so you will receive a response no matter what.
If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neta is an equal opportunity employer. Neta does not discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic background, religion, spirituality, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, citizenship status, or physical ability.