Job opening at Neta!
Title: Cuentos Digitales Fellow
Type: 3-month fellowship / April 2018 – June 2018 (Begin immediately)
Location: Based out of Pharr, Texas, and will require traveling across the Rio Grande Valley
Deadline to apply: April 11, 2018
Neta is a bilingual multimedia platform based in the Rio Grande Valley along the Texas-Mexico border. We create engaging and culturally relevant content that amplifies the voices of border residents aimed to challenge mainstream narratives about our region.
Neta is one of the fastest-growing Latinx-run progressive media platforms in Texas and the U.S. We are part of the emerging progressive infrastructure in Texas engaging young people of color on important social issues and politics. We are fiscally sponsored by the Progress Texas Institute, a 501(c)(3) organization.
The Cuentos Digitales Fellow will film and edit four documentary-style videos with the technical support of Neta and creative direction of Valley AIDS Council. The videos will premiere at Pride in the Park on June 23, 2018.
Cuentos Digitales is a digital media project of Valley AIDS Council in collaboration with Neta to create and produce a series of four documentary-style videos addressing intersecting oppressions and challenges specific to the Rio Grande Valley while empowering, informing and uplifting queer and trans people and their allies. Cuentos Digitales is meant to be premiered at Pride in the Park on June 23, 2018.
- Tackle shame, homophobia, transphobia, serophobia, and stigma around HIV and related topics within the context of living the Rio Grande Valley via professionally produced documentary-style videos
- Empower sexual minorities of color and allies via professionally produced documentary-style videos that are relevant to everyday life on the borderlands
- Ethical use of personal stories and lived experiences of PLHIV and affected communities in the Rio Grande Valley to help educate and empower viewers about topics being addressed.
- Identify and introduce key community leaders within LGBTQ+, HIV prevention and intersecting reproductive justice movements in the Rio Grande Valley to the greater community at large via professionally produced videos
- Provide up to date and factual information from local primary sources about topics relating to, and about HIV prevention and care, transgender rights, Latinidad, sex positivity
- Film videos at multiple locations across the Rio Grande Valley
- Edit videos with the support of Neta in a timely manner to premiere at Pride in the Park
- Work under the direction of Neta and Valley AIDS Council
You should apply if you:
- Are fluent in English and can have a solid conversation in Spanish on the topics that will be discussed on during this project
- Have at least 1 – 2 years of experience in filming and editing
- Have demonstrated the ability to create videos in a professional manner
- Have a thorough understanding of the objectives of the project
- Are able to provide own transportation to filming locations across the Rio Grande Valley
- Are willing to edit videos at the Neta office located in Pharr, Texas
- Have edited using Adobe Premiere Pro
- Are familiar with using Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar
The Fellow will be required to edit videos at the Neta office based in Pharr, Texas. While filming, there could be moments that require exposure to the outdoors for several hours at a time or travel between cities in the Rio Grande Valley. Check-ins on Google Hangout or conference calls are frequent. No work uniforms enforced.
Neta’s standards are to provide an inclusive environment for all to work in and collaborate. We uphold our values of being Feminist, pro-LGBTQ, pro-worker, pro-immigrant, and pro-bodily autonomy firmly.
The pay for this 3-month fellowship is $2,100.
The deadline to apply is April 11, 2018. To apply, we will need:
- A resume
- A one-page letter that explains why you are the best person for this project
- At least 3 samples of previous video work you have filmed and/or edited
Please send these documents to email@example.com. We will respond to all applications by April 13. We won’t leave you hanging, so you will receive a response no matter what.
If you have any questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neta is an equal opportunity employer. Neta does not discriminate on the basis of race, national or ethnic background, religion, spirituality, political orientation, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, age, citizenship status, or physical ability.